Posted: 20 Jun 2014
Cherry Duck Bistro is in search for a dynamic, creative sous chef who is highly motivated to produce food of the highest quality in a warm and friendly environment.
The Cherry Duck is a fast, up and coming restaurant on Bristol harbourside that since opening in December 2012, has quickly established a reputation for offering some of the very best food in Bristol. We have been nominated two years running for Best Chef, Best Restaurant and Best Wine List in the Bristol Good Food Awards and have received wide acclaim from our guests, maintaining a top ranking on Trip Advisor since our birth. Our niche is to offer top level cuisine, fantastic wine and top end cocktails within a relaxed and informal environment. We enjoy good music, great vibes and constant customer satisfaction, first hand, within our open kitchen which is in the heart of the restaurant.
This position offers the opportunity to be in creative whilst being in tune with the guests and front of house, experience the atmospheric buzz of The Cherry Duck and have a massive input in to the creation and presentation of dishes created alongside the head chef. We are a family group of fantastic individuals who enjoy their work and relish the opportunity to create something for the people to enjoy.
The job requires a highly organised individual capable of working in a small kitchen team alongside the owner and head chef. Given the strains of running a business the sous chef shall be expected to carry out much of the kitchen management, for this reason the wage is very competitive. The ability to forward plan, be highly organised with ordering, kitchen hygiene and all the other tasks that are essential to the efficient management of the kitchen are essential. It is also imperative that the chef has experience at the highest level on the pastry section of the kitchen.
To assist Head Chef in overall management and control of the kitchen to ensure that Cherry Duck delivers top quality meals.
Area of responsibility:
• To prepare and deliver top quality meals, either alongside the head chef or to take solo responsibility as the shift rota dictates.
• To ensure that the quality is to a high standard and wholly reflects the ethos of Cherry Duck.
• To contribute and assist in the planning of menus and pricing.
• To assist the Head Chef in adequate food stock level control and all matters associated dealings with food suppliers.
• Supervise all junior kitchen staff and ensure compliance with Cherry Duck policies, procedures and all relevant legislation.
Specific responsibilities :
• To support the Head Chef in preparing and delivering quality meals, to maintain the highest standards of cooking.
• To actively look for new ways of producing high quality products and to be prepared to learn new skills as systems and needs develop
• To take control of the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef, to manage the kitchen staff in a reasonable and friendly manner, whilst ensuring standards are met. To report any wrong doings to the Head Chef.
• To contribute and assist the Head Chef in the writing of menus. To give original, innovative and creative dishes for the sole use of Cherry Duck.
• To ensure that the kitchen is always fully prepared and stocked for service. Order food items in conjunction with the Executive Chef as necessary; take receipt of deliveries ensuing correctness and dealing with any exceptions etc. To ensure good rotation of stock and to prevent waste wherever possible.
• Implement and monitor all Health and Safety and hygiene practises and procedures to ensure 5 star standards are met.
• To ensure all kitchen hygiene checks are made on a regular basis, to keep logs as appropriate and ensure the upkeep of the kitchen is kept to the highest standards.
• To take a “hands on” approach as appropriate to the needs of the business.
• Supervise where appropriate junior kitchen staff
• To monitor and maintain all kitchen equipment to an appropriate standard of cleanliness and service/function and make Cherry Duck management aware in a timely manner of any significant malfunctioning or failure of equipment
Qualifications and experience
Minimum of 5 years solid experience throughout restaurant kitchens up to Sous Chef level in similar or larger size operation or Head Chef in smaller unit
1. Proven ability to organise own workload with good organisational and time management skills and to work to deadlines.
2. Prepared to work flexible hours as the evolving needs of the business dictate
3. To be able to work under pressure, to proactively solve problems as they occur and to stay calm and focussed in such situations.
4. Good understanding of all applicable Health & Safety legislation & experience working with strict health & hygiene regimes
5. Confident and able to communicate effectively and appropriately with other members of staff, suppliers and to customers when required
6. To actively encourage teamwork and team spirit and by offering excellent team support.
7. Previous experience of working in a small company desirable
8. A self motivated individual who is honest, trustworthy and committed with a professional manner and attitude.
9. Good numeracy skills
More photos (2):